The name Extech multimeter already says it. It is a meter that is able to measure multiple things. Every meter has its own specialty, but most of the meters have the basic functions in common. An average multimeter can measure at least three things. Those three things are: voltage, resistance and current. Depending on the meter you have or choose it has a possibility to measure higher values because the device has multiple options on it.
Where is a multimeter used for?
A multimeter can be used for different things. As mentioned above there are three basic values that can be measured. These devices are very handy to have at home. It is used to troubleshoot for electrical problems. For example if you have a wall socket that does not work you can use a multimeter to test if the socket is broken or that the device you plugged in is not working. If the wall socket is not broken you will see a voltage on your device. If your device does not detect any voltage or resistance it means that the wall socket is broken.
Not only for at home it is a helpful device, also in the professional environment you see a lot of multimeters being used. Almost every electrician has at least one meter, it can be an extech multimeter or another brand.
Why an extech multimeter?
An extech multimeter is one of the many brands on the market. But the Extech brand is known for their wide assortiment. Click here to see a few examples of the Extech product line. They have devices in a very big price range. There are pritty big price differences. The higher the price the better the product, it will have extra options like: a digital meter, stronger rubber hold, better precision, higher range and for example a longer battery duration.
To see other multimeter brands, click here.
Which Extech multimeters do we recommend?
Extech EX330 Autoranging Mini Multimeter
By far the best Extech multimeter.
- Built-in non-contact AC voltage detector (NCV)
- 4000 count autoranging multimeter measures AC/DC voltage and current, resistance, frequency, duty cycle and temperature
- Cat III – 600V UL listed
- Includes Type K temperature probe
- Rubber holster protects meter
Extech EX365 Compact Industrial True RMS MultiMeter with Built in NCV
Very good device, see here a few of the specifications.
- LoZ prevents false readings caused by ghost voltages
- True RMS for accurate AC measurements
- Fast 60-Segment Analog style Bar graph for viewing trends with a 6000 Count LED display
- Built-in Non-contact AC Voltage Detector (NCV) with LED indicator
- Smart Data Hold freezes the reading on the display and automatically changes if a new reading is 50 counts
Rating: Very good
Extech EX430 True RMS Autoranging Multimeter
Because of its price/quality values it is also highly recommended.
- Advanced measurements include Capacitance, Frequency, and Duty Cycle
- Relative function for establishing a base line reference
- True RMS AC measurements
- Type K thermometer built-in for surface or air temperature measurements
- Input fuse protection and mis-connection warnings with audible and visible signals