The clamp meter is a device that can be used to measure AC (Alternating Current). There are also clamp meters that can measure the waveform and the phase. The device is a stick with two jaws. Those jaws can open up and be clamped around an electrical conductor. Actually this is all you have to do. These meters come in different brands and sizes, but they are much like the normal multimeters. Like Fluke, Signstek, Uni-T, Tracklife and much more.
Why do I need a clamp meter?
Those meters can be used for measuring Alternating Current as mentioned above. This is needed in different jobs, and sometimes even at home. If you are an electrician you will use or have used such a device more often. This makes it easier for yourself, and save yourself a lot of time. It brings a big plus to the safety, because you just have to clamp the jaws around the cable you would like to measure. It is not only useful for electricians, it’s also used by people working at home. If you have a cable in your house that does not function properly, you don’t want to detach the cable from the current situation. With a clamp meter you can just put the meter around the cable, and see if the cable is still functioning properly. If the cable is broken you can see it directly because you will not receive a signal. It will save you a lot of time.
What are the benefits of a clamp meter?
There are multiple benefits of a clamp meter. But the biggest benefits is that you can measure the current without disconnecting/unplugging it from the current setup. This can save a lot of time, if you would have to disable a big cable and make sure that the power is off for that specific cable it would take more time. It is also a lot safer not to disable the big cable. There is no change that you will make a mistake and get injured.
Top 3 clamp meters we recommend
Fluke 323 True-RMS Clamp Meter
The number one meter has the following benefits:
- Digital clamp meter measures AC current to 400 amp, AC and DC voltage to 600V, and resistance to 4 kilohms
- True RMS sensing meter provides accurate readings when measuring linear or non-linear loads, regardless of waveform
- Jaw opening measures current in a conductor up to 30mm without touching or interrupting the circuit
- Audible continuity sensor confirms that the circuit conducts electricity
- Meets IEC safety standard 61010-1, and is rated for CAT IV installations to 300V and CAT III installations to 600V
Rating: Very good
Etekcity MSR-C600 Digital Clamp Meter
One of the best clamp meters, see the benefits below:
- Autoranging clamp multimeter with AC current, AC/DC voltage, resistance, diode and continuity test
- Jaw opening measures AC current in a conductor up to 26mm without interrupting the circuit
- Features Data Hold, Max Reading and an easy-to-read large LCD
- Comes with a handy carrying pouch – Perfect for use while on the go
- Automatically enters sleep mode after 15 minutes of inactivity for energy conservation; 1-Year Warranty